Engine Egr Cooler On Mp7

Fran3682821

I have 2007 Mack Granite CTP 713 with a MP7 engine. IT seems that I have soot building up in my EGR cooler on the engine. My truck is loosing some pulling power and I recently changed the boost sensor that sits in the egr cooler because it was coated with balck soot and not working properly. I also have a code in my dash popping up that when read by a computer says "not enough information". I believe this code is there because the egr cooler is dirty. My Question is what can cause an abnormal amount of soot to build up in my egr cooler and is this something that happens often on these MP7 motors.

I have 2007 Mack Granite CTP 713 with a MP7 engine. IT seems that I have soot building up in my EGR cooler on the engine. My truck is loosing some pulling power and I recently changed the boost sensor that sits in the egr cooler because it was coated with balck soot and not working properly. I also have a code in my dash popping up that when read by a computer says "not enough information". I believe this code is there because the egr cooler is dirty. My Question is what can cause an abnormal amount of soot to build up in my egr cooler and is this something that happens often on these MP7 motors.

You have an '04 emissions engine. The few that we have in this area haven't been a problem for the most part. The mass flow sensor/module and pipe have been changed out on a few of them.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I was told I would have to remove the egr cooler and send it away to be properly cleaned. what exzactly do you mean ny changing the sensor module and pipe. Is that the complete EGR control valve.

The mass flow sensor measures the amount of exhaust gas flowing into the intake. The sensor is mated to a control module that is mounted towards the engine block on the backside of the alternator bracket. Before changing any of the parts or removing anything I would try to read the fault code numbers off of the dash by pressing and holding the button in the center of the instrument cluster for 4-5 seconds, that way you can make sure of what is setting the fault. If I remember correctly the pipe/sensor/module assembly that I changed out was setting a fault because of an open circuit in the mass flow module. The EGR cooler is not difficult to clean, Mack said to soak the cooler in CLEAN, UNUSED Zep Dyna solvent, and then to steam clean in reverse direction of gas flow. The procedure works pretty well. I take the pressure nozzle off of the pressure washer and run hot water through it at low pressure. After cleaning it needs to be hung vertically and blown dry with air and allowed to drain any moisture inside of it.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

• 10 years later...

Hey so my mp7 ctp713 granite 07 stalls out just riding down the road or parked sometimes it tries to stall out but doesn't.  Seems like it's gets alot of boost for a second then goes back to normal like I hear the engine get louder for a second. Mack told me that the engine brake valve was going out but I didn't believe it but changed it anyway and the engine harness but it's still acting up. Anybody know what it could be. It starts right back up after a few seconds after resetting the key.  My next shot in the dark will be egr because I don't really trust Mack.  Any suggestions?