•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bendix Air Compressor Rebuild Kits - Where To Buy Parts?

• Please log in to reply
    4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KTRON

KTRON

Engine Started

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPip
    • 8 posts
    • Make:Homemade
    • Model:Scooter
    • Year:1996-2009

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

I bought an air compressor for my Detroit Diesel 6V53T. (Bendix Westinghouse TU-Flow Model 501)
    It is a power take off model which bolts to the accessory cover on the flywheel housing.

While cleaning up the pump I noticed that the air cleaner was shot. It looked like ground up carbon.
    I cleaned the inside of the housing, and now I need a new air filter.

When I removed the head from the pump, I noticed that the pistons were stamped "0.10 OS"
    The cylinders are scorn, so maybe I need to have the cylinders honed, and new rings installed.

I would like to buy a gasket kit/filter replacement parts for the pump I have, but I do not know where to find them.

Here is the information I have:
    Model: 501
    Serial: K2494
    Part: 286538

The air filter housing has number: 236594F
    The head has a casting number of: 294146
    The block has a casting number of: 249960

Pictures:
    Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Any ideas???

Chris

#2 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 10,191 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST
    • Year:1951 1957 1958 1962 1964 1973 1974 1978 1977 1980

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

I bought an air compressor for my Detroit Diesel 6V53T. (Bendix Westinghouse TU-Flow Model 501)
    It is a power take off model which bolts to the accessory cover on the flywheel housing.

While cleaning up the pump I noticed that the air cleaner was shot. It looked like ground up carbon.
    I cleaned the inside of the housing, and now I need a new air filter.

When I removed the head from the pump, I noticed that the pistons were stamped "0.10 OS"
    The cylinders are scorn, so maybe I need to have the cylinders honed, and new rings installed.

I would like to buy a gasket kit/filter replacement parts for the pump I have, but I do not know where to find them.

Here is the information I have:
    Model: 501
    Serial: K2494
    Part: 286538

The air filter housing has number: 236594F
    The head has a casting number of: 294146
    The block has a casting number of: 249960

Pictures:
    Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Any ideas???

Chris

Call these guys. They'll have parts and expert advice for anything you would require.

http://rebuildersent.../contact_us.asp

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#3 OFFLINE   KTRON

KTRON

Engine Started

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPip
    • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

Call these guys. They'll have parts and expert advice for anything you would require.

http://rebuildersent.../contact_us.asp

Rob

Thank You Rob, I will try contacting them for parts

Chris

#4 OFFLINE   theakerstwo

theakerstwo

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,225 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:b61
    • Year:1957

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

The best thing for you to do is exchange the compressor because if you can find parts it will cost you more to repair it than a new one will. Seen guys play with them for long time when its cheaper to exchange.
    glenn akers

#5 OFFLINE   KTRON

KTRON

Engine Started

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPip
    • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

The best thing for you to do is exchange the compressor because if you can find parts it will cost you more to repair it than a new one will. Seen guys play with them for long time when its cheaper to exchange.

It pumped air just fine before I removed the head for inspection.
    I have been completely restoring all of the parts on my engine, and this pump was just next on the list.
    The pump shares the same oil as the engine. After doing a full rebuild, I cant take any chances running a pump which could have loose metal in it.
    Thankfully there was none, crankshaft and everything looked good nice and clean.
    The pump will only be used to shift the transmission I will be attaching to it, and possibly air horns
    It will not be running brakes of any kind, I dont have a CDL

I see a field maintenance kit for one of these on ebay for real cheap. It has all of the parts I need other than new piston rings.
    If I cant find them, I am sure new rings can be cross-matched from small gasoline engines...but thats a last resort

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users