Proper Ride Height On Hendrickson Air Ride

bubbamobilin

The air ride suspension on my 1990 Superliner has gotten out of whack. We replaced the suspension about 4 year ago with a 2000 Hendrickson/Mack air ride out of a CH. The only problem is that the truck we got the suspenion from was not mine and I don't have the vin # to go by. Does anyone know the proper ride height for a 2000 Hendrickson air ride that's under a 1990 Superliner(double frame) and is it even that critical?

The air ride suspension on my 1990 Superliner has gotten out of whack. We replaced the suspension about 4 year ago with a 2000 Hendrickson/Mack air ride out of a CH. The only problem is that the truck we got the suspenion from was not mine and I don't have the vin # to go by. Does anyone know the proper ride height for a 2000 Hendrickson air ride that's under a 1990 Superliner(double frame) and is it even that critical?

Mack says 4 1/4" for 11.81" wide frame rails and Mack AL and AL II air suspension (Hendrickson HA/HAS). Measured with chassis unloaded, at the front axle housing, from the bottom flange on the frame rail to the bottom of the main support member on the spring.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

What does ride height have to do with anything, what could it possibly affect? Except for steering geometry, and pinion angle, a good ride down the road, what else. Keep in mind that you are working off two different platform's which may or may not have had even the same tire size. When you get it set the way you want it, on a level pad put a level on the frame rail. If your set up is right it should be very close to level. Check your pinion angles, a guage is not expensive at all, when the angles are right, you can go back to them on PM.

'

Like rhasler says, Mack measures from the framerail to the spring support, so it shouldn't matter what chassis or tire size. The ride height is the axle in relation to the frame. It is a critical measurement for driveline angle. My personal experience is that as little as 3/4" change can create a vibration.

Over the years I have seen many drivers AND so-called mechanics try to adjust ride height to improve the ride of a truck. One has nothing to do with the other as the same air PRESSURE will be needed to support the load regardless of the height setting.

Like rhasler says, Mack measures from the framerail to the spring support, so it shouldn't matter what chassis or tire size. The ride height is the axle in relation to the frame. It is a critical measurement for driveline angle. My personal experience is that as little as 3/4" change can create a vibration.

Over the years I have seen many drivers AND so-called mechanics try to adjust ride height to improve the ride of a truck. One has nothing to do with the other as the same air PRESSURE will be needed to support the load regardless of the height setting.

Not being argumentative, but the rear of the truck is not right if the front is not right. That is my point. Air pressure will equalize loaded or empty. An improperly adjusted rear affects the front. The rear is a lot easier to adjust, in order to compensate. Front or rear, they are still part of the same truck. When I was young I once had an occasion to ask my wife what a headache could possibly have to do with her ass. Ask yours, and lets see if we both got the same answer LOL

• Like 1

I mentioned to Sweet Polly that the rear view looks like the ass-end of my Mack, as per Mike's suggestion, and now I am the one with a headache.

That sleeper is getting to be REAL comfortable, eh?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I mentioned to Sweet Polly that the rear view looks like the ass-end of my Mack, as per Mike's suggestion, and now I am the one with a headache.

Man it goes without saying; "You got more balls than I do".

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Mack says 4 1/4" for 11.81" wide frame rails and Mack AL and AL II air suspension (Hendrickson HA/HAS). Measured with chassis unloaded, at the front axle housing, from the bottom flange on the frame rail to the bottom of the main support member on the spring.

Would this be the same as measuring from frame to top of axel??

• Like 1

Would this be the same as measuring from frame to top of axel??

Not quite the same. The spring will sit inside of a bracket that sits on top of the axle housing, so the distance to the top of the axle will be greater. I believe I forgot to mention that there is an 1/8" tolerance to the specification.

Not quite the same. The spring will sit inside of a bracket that sits on top of the axle housing, so the distance to the top of the axle will be greater. I believe I forgot to mention that there is an 1/8" tolerance to the specification.

I believe I've got smaller frame rails. Would I use the same measurement?

I believe I've got smaller frame rails. Would I use the same measurement?

The CHN, CXN, CHU, and CXN with 10.47" frame rails (built March 19, 2001 and later) uses 4 7/8" +/- 1/8". Make sure of which suspension you have. There are 10 different suspensions that ride height specifications are given for (including the Hendrickson Airtek front axle suspension).

The CHN, CXN, CHU, and CXN with 10.47" frame rails (built March 19, 2001 and later) uses 4 7/8" +/- 1/8". Make sure of which suspension you have. There are 10 different suspensions that ride height specifications are given for (including the Hendrickson Airtek front axle suspension).

I've got a 2000 CX613. Frame is just over 10". Don't know exact type, but it is hendrickson.

I've got a 2000 CX613. Frame is just over 10". Don't know exact type, but it is hendrickson.

It's probably the AL or AL II (Hendrickson HA/HAS) suspension using the dimensions quoted earlier. Make sure when measuring frame height that you measure from the top of the upper flange to the bottom of the lower flange.

AL ALII Suspension.pdf

What does ride height have to do with anything, what could it possibly affect? Except for steering geometry, and pinion angle, a good ride down the road, what else. Keep in mind that you are working off two different platform's which may or may not have had even the same tire size. When you get it set the way you want it, on a level pad put a level on the frame rail. If your set up is right it should be very close to level. Check your pinion angles, a guage is not expensive at all, when the angles are right, you can go back to them on PM.

'

I found on my Superliner with Neway that ride height directly affected the ride. As the height increase, the ride quality decreases both loaded and unloaded. This isn't as much a function of air pressure as it is the position of the volute inside the air bladder. On my truck, aluminum frame and full size 24.5's, the ride is best when the top of the tyre tread is level with the top of the Holland 5th wheel slider frame. As little as 1/2" higher is results in a harsher ride.

OK, so after my weekend project, somehow my ride height got thrown all out of whack (rear shocks were fully extended) :blink:

Now on those measurements, they don't make any sense....unless the 4 7/8" (+/- 1/8") is the difference between deflated and inflated measurements....is that a correct assumption?

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

OK, so after my weekend project, somehow my ride height got thrown all out of whack (rear shocks were fully extended) :blink:

Now on those measurements, they don't make any sense....unless the 4 7/8" (+/- 1/8") is the difference between deflated and inflated measurements....is that a correct assumption?

OK...if that were the case, that would REALLY jack up the rear end... :wacko:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

OK...so I found an old snap-on 1/2" wrench in my grandpa's old toolbox that was hacked down to exactly 4-7/8"...should be easier than using a tape measure....now I just gotta figure out what I need to measure. :pat:

Rowdy, your measurement should be 4 1/4" +/- 1/4". Check your PM.

• 7 months later...

I know that driveline angle on airrides is critical and not just for vibrations. Drove an old Ats Shaker and could not keep transmissions in it. Long story short the ride height was to low and the driveshaft was running out of slide and was then smacking the back of the case. Ergo Oil loss and damage to the case and every few months doing transmissions.

• 4 months later...

What does ride height have to do with anything, what could it possibly affect? Except for steering geometry, and pinion angle, a good ride down the road, what else. Keep in mind that you are working off two different platform's which may or may not have had even the same tire size. When you get it set the way you want it, on a level pad put a level on the frame rail.  If your set up is right it should be very close to level. Check your pinion angles, a guage is not expensive at all, when the angles are right, you can go back to them on PM.

'

this is actually in correct, driver. most HAS ride heights are based on the Air Spring and there is a range for the 57QL411M. It is generally 11.4 [?], 12.6 and 13". Tyre size is not referenced in any manual that is easy to find. BTW: 13" is pretty friggin' high. I concur with the 11.4" Spring height.good luck driver.

• 2 months later...

Hi, i have a 1993 CLR mack with hendrickson air ride and mine is set at 11and 1/2 inches from the airbag base plate to the bottom of the chassis rail , i am told this is standard height for hendrickson air bag suspention.

regards Devo