Losing My Yard And Need To Get Her Started.

bigrigpardo

its been 4 years,man time flies since i have tried to start my b model. ok well lets see what we got. the electrical is shot but i am able to jmp the seres paralel and spin the motor i started it on either just to hear it and it sounded alright, but i have no fuel. tanks and origional priming pump are shot so thats out of the question. i need some ideas on how to prime the system to get fuel into the fuel injector block. wat could i use as a priming pump??????. i have a hose guy that will make me anyfitting for the tank and pump i choose, but i need to choose a pump and soon. i need to get it running and driving cause towing by me is rediculous. the guy wants 750 to tow it 20 miles. id rather put my fender back on and drive it. truck is a 59 b61 with a 673 non turbo and a duplex

Actually you can use a 5 gallon plastic can and mount it with bungy cords on your step. If you got it to run then the pump may pull fuel into the engine. Someone else may be able to explain it better than me. Oh by the way....I had my truck towed in 2009 a 20 mile rear tow, and it cost me $250.00 and State Farm rep almost died when they saw the bill. They payed $80.00 of it.

Keep us posted.

mike

i would use a five gallon can like there saying,but on my truck it was sitting for 5 years and im not sure if fuel was still in the system,but i just filled the tanks and me and my friend push started it and after a couple engine chugs she fired.

i would use a five gallon can like there saying,but on my truck it was sitting for 5 years and im not sure if fuel was still in the system,but i just filled the tanks and me and my friend push started it and after a couple engine chugs she fired.

i tried gravity feed. i filled my fuel filter bowl and fuel was reaching the front of the injector block but mothing was pumping out. my shut off lever was pretty stuck i think i need to lube up all of the injector lifters and wat not. i only started it on eithe once to make sure it would run and it did, sounded nie too. but getting fuel into it was my problem, whih is why i wanted to put a pump on it. i have heard from a lot of people that it needs to be pressue fed, but u guys say gravity will work? i m confused

i tried gravity feed. i filled my fuel filter bowl and fuel was reaching the front of the injector block but mothing was pumping out. my shut off lever was pretty stuck i think i need to lube up all of the injector lifters and wat not. i only started it on eithe once to make sure it would run and it did, sounded nie too. but getting fuel into it was my problem, whih is why i wanted to put a pump on it. i have heard from a lot of people that it needs to be pressue fed, but u guys say gravity will work? i m confused

Gravity feed will serve to apply positive pressure to the inlet of the lift pump. If you bypass the lift pump on the side of the injection pump and feed directly into the fuel filter housing and your temporary fuel tank is higher than the filter housing, you should have fuel flow to fill the pump gallery within the injection pump. This will supply enough fuel to make the engine start assuming your fuel rack is not stuck. If the fuel rack is stuck, or frozen within the pump housing, there is nothing that will make the engine run till this is repaired, or loosened up. It is not difficult to do but a little time consuming. There is a cap that is hex shaped and screws out, or retained by two capscrews at the front of the injection pump just above the mounting flange to the engine. This covers the fuel rack. Remove this cap and there will be a round rod with a bolt screwed into it with a jamb nut holding it secure. You should be able to push and pull this fuel rack very easily with two fingers when the engine kill cable is not pulled to the stop position. If the rack will not move easily, you need to remove the pump from the engine, remove the side cover from the pump, and submerge the pump in diesel fuel for a few hours. Some have got lucky by just removing the side cover and leaving the pump on the engine but I've always pulled it off and never had problems getting the rack loosened. After the pump has had a good soaking, (diesel fuel is a very good penetrant) try to push and pull on the rack again. A little force may be in order here but not a lot. You can turn the pump shaft over by hand or with a wrench without too much trouble as the pump adapter will only install on the engine one way so you don't need to worry about timing. Inside the side cover there is a camshaft much like an engine camshaft that operates followers. These are the plungers and barrels and if a single plunger stays in the up position, and is not riding the camshaft, the fuel rack will be stuck and not let the engine start. I've taken a large screwdriver or chisel, and tapped the plunger spring back down. They usually snap back into position readily. After you get them back on the camshaft spin the pump again and ensure none stick again. Once they are all verified not sticking, reinstall the pump on the engine. I leave all the high pressure lines loose, but fastened onto the output fittings of the injection pump until they are all bleeding fuel when the engine is cranking and then tighten them up. When they are spewing fuel, (actually dribbling) tighten the lines, and crank on the engine. It will start to chug, fire, run rough for a bit, then smooth out when it starts firing on all cylinders.

My memory isn't quite what it used to be but that's the way I used to do it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

In days gone by I have done 673 and 711 exactly like Rob says and it worked fine for me on gravity too.

well i guess my rack is stuck then cause my stop cable was always kinda stuck. there was a lever the cable was hooked to at the back of the injector block and that barely moved. i was able to move it in and out with some persuasion but it wasnt easy. does any one have some pics they can post of were to lube in order to fix the problem.

anybody? does anyone have an exploded view from an old manual. i cant seem to find mine

If your rack is stuck take the sidecover off the pump and spray PB blaster all over the springs,cant rember if there is a plug where the pufflimiter is on the later ones i took my plug out stuck a long bolt in there and kept tapping on it keep soaking it with blaster good luck. Ron

wats up thad. long time no see. nope man i was thinking about ti and its really been like 3 years since i have done anything to it. damn i have been busy. but now they r trying to empty the place and make it a firemans training facility. the brock left a year ago along with most other things. soon my mack will have to go to, so heres were i am. stuck. i need to sit there and lube the hell out of the fuel rack to get everything flowing properly and start from there. maybe sunday the 26th i want to spend the day up there and try to start it again. in the mood to try again. always could use the help. well thats were i am at. going to seriously try to get her started that day. i mean hey its been 3 years and my wrench turning abilities have seriously changed since then. time to see some life in her. i want to go for the test drive.

wats up thad. long time no see. nope man i was thinking about ti and its really been like 3 years since i have done anything to it. damn i have been busy. but now they r trying to empty the place and make it a firemans training facility. the brock left a year ago along with most other things. soon my mack will have to go to, so heres were i am. stuck. i need to sit there and lube the hell out of the fuel rack to get everything flowing properly and start from there. maybe sunday the 26th i want to spend the day up there and try to start it again. in the mood to try again. always could use the help. well thats were i am at. going to seriously try to get her started that day. i mean hey its been 3 years and my wrench turning abilities have seriously changed since then. time to see some life in her. i want to go for the test drive.

Ah man that is bad news. Where will you move it to?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!