•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Resistor

• Please log in to reply
    17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dunny

dunny

Truck Nut

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 30 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:superliner
    • Year:1987

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

where can i get a blower motor resistor for a 87 superliner. dealer says no got! man I have a lot of trouble trying to get the simple things for this truck :pat:

Attached Files

#2 OFFLINE   HK Trucking

HK Trucking

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,557 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

Just run the blower on "hi" all the time, no resistor needed. B)
    "If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

#3 OFFLINE   rhasler

rhasler

Wotta revoltin' development

• 1,876 posts
    Contributor

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

where can i get a blower motor resistor for a 87 superliner. dealer says no got! man I have a lot of trouble trying to get the simple things for this truck :pat:

The resistor part number for the RW in this post: http://www.bigmacktr...showtopic=15191 is 4379-RD536470 (or at least it used to be). It was built in 1987, so I would imagine it should be the same as yours. I'll try to check on it tomorrow and see if it available or if they're just blowing smoke.
    "Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

#4 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,779 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:B61
    • Year:1961

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

Sounds like quite a large resistor. How many amps is a blower motor? you could size up a resistor from an electronics supply catalog. I have a few large ones lying around but they are rated for 200 watts only, and those are actually huge.
    -Thad
    What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

#5 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST
    • Year:1951 1957 1958 1962 1964 1973 1974 1978 1977 1980

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Sounds like quite a large resistor. How many amps is a blower motor? you could size up a resistor from an electronics supply catalog. I have a few large ones lying around but they are rated for 200 watts only, and those are actually huge.

Not really too physically large. They depend on airflow through the plenum to survive. Leaves and trash buildup on the cowl inlet screens take them out quickly due to reduced airflow. As Herv stated if the blower motor is run on the "high" position of the switch, the resistor is bypassed electrically and not in the circuit.

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#6 OFFLINE   theakerstwo

theakerstwo

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 2,132 posts
    • Model:b61
    • Year:1957

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

I am thinking a FLD freightliner may use the same one. If it ant you could rework the mount and it would. The FLD has 4 ter. on it.
    glenn akers

#7 OFFLINE   dunny

dunny

Truck Nut

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

I am thinking a FLD freightliner may use the same one. If it ant you could rework the mount and it would. The FLD has 4 ter. on it.

I am going to take a pic of it and go to freightliner cause i think you is right

Thanks Rich

PS high speed does not work with this resister.

#8 OFFLINE   rhasler

rhasler

• 1,876 posts
    Contributor

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hey Dunny, I had a parts man check that number out, it's still a good number and it's available (literally hundreds in Mack's warehouses). He told me probably around $5.00

#9 OFFLINE   dunny

dunny

Truck Nut

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

Hey Dunny, I had a parts man check that number out, it's still a good number and it's available (literally hundreds in Mack's warehouses). He told me probably around $5.00

i only have 1 mack dealer here. How would i go about getting it cause my dealer says that mack does not stock it anymore

#10 OFFLINE   hatcity

hatcity

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,271 posts
    • Model:cx613
    • Year:2001

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

i only have 1 mack dealer here. How would i go about getting it cause my dealer says that mack does not stock it anymore

Trey don't go to far out of his way for you too?
    Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

#11 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,779 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

Not really too physically large. They depend on airflow through the plenum to survive. Leaves and trash buildup on the cowl inlet screens take them out quickly due to reduced airflow. As Herv stated if the blower motor is run on the "high" position of the switch, the resistor is bypassed electrically and not in the circuit.

Rob

Yes I figured the resistor is used to divide the voltage for low speed. Why i said.. what i said, i have no idea, lol. For some reason I was thinking a few hundred watts but that is not the case.

You can calculate the motors resistance using the formula R=E/I meaning Resistance (in ohms) equals the voltage (E) divided by the amperage(I). So for example: if we have a blower motor that draws 10 amps you divide 12 by 10 which equals 1.2. So to divide the voltage in half you need a 1.2 Ohm resistor. And since the current (amps) will also half, the wattage will be 6 volts times 5 amps which is 30 watts. So you don't need a very large resistor at all. I don't know why i didn't think that one out.

You can easily source one from an online electronics supply company (digikey, mouser, newark) and just connect it.
    -Thad

#12 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

Yes I figured the resistor is used to divide the voltage for low speed. Why i said.. what i said, i have no idea, lol. For some reason I was thinking a few hundred watts but that is not the case.

You can calculate the motors resistance using the formula R=E/I meaning Resistance (in ohms) equals the voltage (E) divided by the amperage(I). So for example: if we have a blower motor that draws 10 amps you divide 12 by 10 which equals 1.2. So to divide the voltage in half you need a 1.2 Ohm resistor. And since the current (amps) will also half, the wattage will be 6 volts times 5 amps which is 30 watts. So you don't need a very large resistor at all. I don't know why i didn't think that one out.

You can easily source one from an online electronics supply company (digikey, mouser, newark) and just connect it.

Yes but a standard carbon based resistor does not release it's internal heat as readily as a ceramic case resistor does. I've seen standard plastic cased, carbon based resistors used in this application not hold up long at all.

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#13 OFFLINE   rhasler

rhasler

• 1,876 posts
    Contributor

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

I don't know if it can be drop shipped to you or not. I would tell your dealer that you know better and then give them the part number you need.

#14 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,779 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

Yes but a standard carbon based resistor does not release it's internal heat as readily as a ceramic case resistor does. I've seen standard plastic cased, carbon based resistors used in this application not hold up long at all.

Rob

Yea, you would need a wire wound resistor. Either encased in ceramic or better yet, encased in an aluminum finned case to dissipate heat.
    You would need allot of carbon resistors to get 30 watts and 1.2 ohms :P
    -Thad

#15 OFFLINE   dunny

dunny

Truck Nut

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 30 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:55 AM

Yea, you would need a wire wound resistor. Either encased in ceramic or better yet, encased in an aluminum finned case to dissipate heat.
    You would need allot of carbon resistors to get 30 watts and 1.2 ohms :P

Hey Hey, watch that fancy wordage, I am a owner operator and all my trucks are old enough to drink :wacko:

Edited by dunny, 10 August 2010 - 04:56 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   HK Trucking

HK Trucking

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,557 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

I am going to take a pic of it and go to freightliner cause i think you is right

Thanks Rich

PS high speed does not work with this resister.

If the blower does not work on the hi speed setting, then there's something else wrong.

The resistor is not part of the circuit when the switch is in the high speed position, so therefore the problem could be in the switch, motor, wiring, circuit breaker, or it could be a bad ground.
    "If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

#17 OFFLINE   dunny

dunny

Truck Nut

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 30 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

If the blower does not work on the hi speed setting, then there's something else wrong.

The resistor is not part of the circuit when the switch is in the high speed position, so therefore the problem could be in the switch, motor, wiring, circuit breaker, or it could be a bad ground.

there is some sort of diode on the hot side of the resistor. if i cross each end and the fan switch is on high then the fan blows your hat off :wacko:

#18 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

there is some sort of diode on the hot side of the resistor. if i cross each end and the fan switch is on high then the fan blows your hat off :wacko:

That is an "anti spiking" diode. It basically absorbs and routes the transient voltage spike to ground when the switch is operated.

Rob

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users