•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
    - - - - -

Why Can't We Buy Cabover?

• Please log in to reply
    54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   QCDriver

QCDriver

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 200 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:CH613
    • Year:2001

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

Does anyone know why we in the US can't get these trucks?

http://www.truckwall...8/ManTrucks.jpg

Just example pic.

#2 OFFLINE   speedy

speedy

Truck Nut

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 32 posts
    • Model:MR 688 concrete pump
    • Year:2006

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

The North American Market mindset won't embrace cabovers. It's odd because they are far more luxurious and comfortable than the seemingly 'preferred' conventional truck, the Peterbilt.

Kenworth has made an attempt, but It's not yet certified for road travel (crash testing, etc) it's for off- road heavy haul.

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   bigen

bigen

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,174 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:chn 613 rawhide 007504
    • Year:2007

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

i did my rookie year in a freightliner cabover, that was about a year old and only had about 200,000 miles on it. i dont remember anything being comfortable or luxery

#4 OFFLINE   hatcity

hatcity

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,280 posts
    • Model:cx613

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

The North American Market mindset won't embrace cabovers. It's odd because they are far more luxurious and comfortable than the seemingly 'preferred' conventional truck, the Peterbilt.

Kenworth has made an attempt, but It's not yet certified for road travel (crash testing, etc) it's for off- road heavy haul.

Posted Image

Liability issues. Too many truckers that used to run hoods fall out the truck at the first stop. crac da head
    Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

#5 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST
    • Year:1951 1957 1958 1962 1964 1973 1974 1978 1977 1980

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

Liability issues. Too many truckers that used to run hoods fall out the truck at the first stop. crac da head

A good portion of them out there could use that type of education too.

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#6 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,779 posts
    • Model:B61
    • Year:1961

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:04 PM

i did my rookie year in a freightliner cabover, that was about a year old and only had about 200,000 miles on it. i dont remember anything being comfortable or luxery

He is talking about Euro cab overs. They know how to combine comfort and ruggedness.
    -Thad
    What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

#7 OFFLINE   dogfan

dogfan

First Gear

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPip
    • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:37 AM

I was stationed in Germany, and had an opportunity to drive a Mecedes-Benz Actros, and a Scania 420. Just like a big car! The Mercedes had whats called Electronic Power Shift. Didn't quite figure it out, cuz my friend is Italian, and English is limited. More or less like a the Tiptronic in a car, cuz he got fed up I guess, and put it in automatic mode! The Scania has a different gear pattern. Our trucks are the H pattern, with LO, or 1 and R by your leg. It had only an H. R, 1, 2, and 3. 12 speed. Import costs, and the popularity wouldn't be in ya'lls favor. They have the power though! Volvo is pushin 700Hp, strapped to a 16spd, and Scania has a 730 pony motor! Their tractor-trailers would work awesome in places NYC, REALLY short wheelbases!

#8 OFFLINE   Vision 386

Vision 386

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 5,557 posts
    • Model:CX-613 (Vision)

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

My first new truck was a cabover Mack MH,allthough it WAS a good truck,i dont miss it at all! other than the short wheeelbase getting in and out of a tight spot it was a rough riding SOB! dont miss getting dressed laying down either! the hood is good!.....................Mark
    Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

#9 OFFLINE   bubbamobilin

bubbamobilin

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 169 posts
    • Model:RW 613 Superliner
    • Year:1990

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

Well I'm not a physics major but does it not stand to reason that cabovers are more dangerous than conventionals because there is nothing in front of you to absorb energy in a crash.

#10 OFFLINE   Lmackattack

Lmackattack

RS700L

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,102 posts
    • Model:RS700L / B613LST
    • Year:RS 1977 / B 1965

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

Well I'm not a physics major but does it not stand to reason that cabovers are more dangerous than conventionals because there is nothing in front of you to absorb energy in a crash.

yep. regaedless of function,looks,or wheelbase the last thing I want to be is the first person at the accident. and if we want to talk about looks. thats easy....everyone has their own opinions on what looks good and what is ugly

#11 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST
    • Year:1951 1957 1958 1962 1964 1973 1974 1978 1977 1980

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:16 PM

yep. regaedless of function,looks,or wheelbase the last thing I want to be is the first person at the accident. and if we want to talk about looks. thats easy....everyone has their own opinions on what looks good and what is ugly

Back when cabovers were a large part of trucking in this country, there was a different breed of driver in the seat. Experience was prevelant rather than distant. I can only imagine the fatality rate with many current truck drivers in a cabover.

How things have changed.

My favorite cabover always was the IH Transtar II with a 8V-71 and an RTO-9513 on 3.70's. The two I drove were smooth, relatively quiet, and quite fast for their day.

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#12 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,779 posts
    • Model:B61

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:59 PM

There is a crash test standard for Euro cabovers. It was first introduced in Sweden (surprise surprise!). Its pretty rigorous and I would imaging so seeing that just about every truck in Europe is a cabover. I don't think they would drive around in death traps. Europeans are no slouches.

When you hear the term cabover please realize Euro cabovers are very safe, not to be confused with North American cabovers which ceased evolving in the early 80's (save for the Argosy). They are not the old fashioned tin boxes of yesteryear.
    -Thad
    What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

#13 OFFLINE   Lmackattack

Lmackattack

RS700L

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,102 posts
    • Model:RS700L / B613LST
    • Year:RS 1977 / B 1965

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

OH GOD if the drivers of Today were in a cab over I would say the Drivers death rates would double! I really feel bad for the good ones out there. they just stay quiet and dont interact like they used to. Seams the last few years I cant even get a bear report or a reply even after I give one. I rarely get a flash of the lights after I pass a truck at night.

#14 OFFLINE   rw613

rw613

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • 440 posts
    • Make:macks
    • Model:rw613.
    • Year:1985

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

OH GOD if the drivers of Today were in a cab over I would say the Drivers death rates would double! I really feel bad for the good ones out there. they just stay quiet and dont interact like they used to. Seams the last few years I cant even get a bear report or a reply even after I give one. I rarely get a flash of the lights after I pass a truck at night.

im all for macking the cabover again after worcking on this new junk every day the motor is so far back under the cab the cabover would be a whole lot easer to work on

#15 OFFLINE   David

David

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,176 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

im all for macking the cabover again after worcking on this new junk every day the motor is so far back under the cab the cabover would be a whole lot easer to work on

Don't need COE's, just start building the Superliner again. Problem solved.

#16 OFFLINE   Vision 386

Vision 386

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 5,557 posts
    • Model:CX-613 (Vision)

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

Back when cabovers were a large part of trucking in this country, there was a different breed of driver in the seat. Experience was prevelant rather than distant. I can only imagine the fatality rate with many current truck drivers in a cabover.

How things have changed.

My favorite cabover always was the IH Transtar II with a 8V-71 and an RTO-9513 on 3.70's. The two I drove were smooth, relatively quiet, and quite fast for their day.

Rob

I sure agree with that statement! i see things done almost daily in other trucks that scare the livin'shit outta' me! 3-4 weeks "training" then they get cut loose with an 80,000 pound weapon of mass destruction! i once interviewed a woman (on my companies behalf) that had recently puchased her own truck,and was looking to sign on with us as an owner-operator,looking into her work history and driving record,i found out she had been terminated from werner enterprizes,reason she gave was they let her go after her 4TH rollover accident!...................Mark
    Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

#17 OFFLINE   BAD DOG

BAD DOG

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 882 posts
    • Make:MACK
    • Model:RW 700
    • Year:1989

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:06 PM

:SMOKIE-LFT: I think they sould bring back the Superliner too David. I agree with vision about the drivers today. I always give the lights a flash when someone passes me and flash the four ways if someone flashes me when I pass them. I find I flash the headlighs a lot more tha any one flashes in return. It makes me feel good when another driver does, but it's not often any more.

#18 OFFLINE   b61mack

b61mack

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 675 posts
    • Model:B61T B61LT R685ST
    • Year:1963 1958 1972 the Bs are sleepercabs

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

How things have changed.

Rob

The Transtar II and F Model Mack were the best looking cabovers on the road, they had style. Ron

#19 OFFLINE   bubbamobilin

bubbamobilin

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 169 posts
    • Model:RW 613 Superliner
    • Year:1990

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

Don't need COE's, just start building the Superliner again. Problem solved.

Amen to that! Bring back the Superliner.
    The only cabovers I ever drove were Mack F models and MH's. A few months ago I thought I wanted a cabover to restore but after talking with my dad I came to my sences. We didn't like em then, probably wouldn't like em now. I never did like looking out the rear view mirror to make sure I was on my side of the road.

#20 OFFLINE   randyp

randyp

crash test dummy

• BMT Benefactor
    • 2,236 posts
    • Make:MACK
    • Model:B-61

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:53 PM

My first new truck was a cabover Mack MH,allthough it WAS a good truck,i dont miss it at all! other than the short wheeelbase getting in and out of a tight spot it was a rough riding SOB! dont miss getting dressed laying down either! the hood is good!.....................Mark

I agree Mark, I dont remember anything comfortable bout a cabover, I drove 2 different IH transtars and they bout beat me to death, specially on bridges and cement highways randyp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users