Egr Block

Did anyone try putting the plate in to block the EGR yet? 40,000 miles on running mine blocked and fuel mileage is up and throwing no codes so the test goes on.

I've read your other posts about this and can't figure out why it would work unless your mass air flow tube had bad sensors in it that were feeding the mass flow ecm bad information. Maybe you got lucky and got some parts that were "bad" in just the right way!

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I've read your other posts about this and can't figure out why it would work unless your mass air flow tube had bad sensors in it that were feeding the mass flow ecm bad information. Maybe you got lucky and got some parts that were "bad" in just the right way!

I got two customers running with the plate. the one claims to be getting 40 bucks a day better fuel milage with egr code The other more power, but no milage gain as of yet with an egr code!Why you have no egr code is a real mistery as 68 mentioned before its real odd!Having said that the egr code took along time to come on with the one truck several hundred miles but it did show up.

I got two customers running with the plate. the one claims to be getting 40 bucks a day better fuel milage with egr code The other more power, but no milage gain as of yet with an egr code!Why you have no egr code is a real mistery as 68 mentioned before its real odd!Having said that the egr code took along time to come on with the one truck several hundred miles but it did show up.

According to what I've read I think I was supposed to have a 4-9 code but so far there's no code so maybe as you guys say the sensor is bad. My fuel mileage went up on average about 1.25 mpg and I have slightly more power.

According to what I've read I think I was supposed to have a 4-9 code but so far there's no code so maybe as you guys say the sensor is bad. My fuel mileage went up on average about 1.25 mpg and I have slightly more power.

I guess that means if it is broke don't fix it. That's a pretty big increase.

I guess that means if it is broke don't fix it. That's a pretty big increase.

I can't give all the credit to the plate for better fuel mileage because at the same time I blocked it I put on a new turbo. Maybe the turbo and block combined to help?? I've been having exceptionally good luck with the old gal since fjh and MackPro talked me through the coolant pushing and turbo blowing nightmare. I had the truck at local Mack 5 different times with no improvements but then you guys here at Big Mack talked me through and we fixed it.

4-9 is for the EGR valve. 5-8 and 5-9 are for the mass flow sensors. The VMAC III manual doesn't say these will derate the enging when set and I can't remember if they do. I suspect that when the faults set normally the engine ecu has no idea how much EGR is going into the engine so it starts actuating the valve, this causes all kinds of weird engine behavior due to increases in EGR gas introduced into the cylinders. With the plate installed I think it (the engine ecu) is doing the same thing, but since the valve is blocked off the gas can't get back to the cylinders. This also helps explain a modest power boost, since the valve is closed off there is more exhaust gas pressure in the manifold causing the turbo to spin faster. Of course this is all hypothetical and it still doesn't explain why you have no codes set.

to block or not to block, this question has cost me a lot of sleep.

trucks running good, getting 5.75 mpg

but i am thinking about taking out the coolant screen???????????????

I would block the egr before taking out the screen!

• 11 years later...

what would happen if we are not able to block off the EGR in full?  while taking apart, two of the 4 bolts broke off.  if we cannot get those out, and have a loud rattling noise, will this affect the performance of the engine?  we are still having issues with the power of the truck. it will not get above 50-55MPH and just is struggling.  any help is appreciated

1 hour ago, Reid said:

what would happen if we are not able to block off the EGR in full?  while taking apart, two of the 4 bolts broke off.  if we cannot get those out, and have a loud rattling noise, will this affect the performance of the engine?  we are still having issues with the power of the truck. it will not get above 50-55MPH and just is struggling.  any help is appreciated

Yes ! Unfortunately you need to finish what you started Or you could end up in a pickle! You need to post your whole story here just deleting the EGR WILL Not fix It if there is another existing problem! Stuck VGT Etc.

Edited by fjh

check fuel pressure  u need  60 plus pounds at full load to run strong if its an ETEC ! You need 15-20 plus  ideally 25 if it has a Robert bosch pump! check fuel tank vent change fuel filters if you find below spec fuel psi !

Edited by fjh

3 minutes ago, Reid said:

while running, we are upwards of 71lbs of pressure, that issue was addressed when we added a new fuel pump and also new fuel pressure sensor.

trans make model ? Mack trans? If its a Mack trans disconnect the torque limit switch a the rear shift cyl!

Edited by fjh

4 minutes ago, Reid said:

i do not have the model, but it is an allison trans, maybe 3500??  no transmission codes show, even at a certified allison shop.

OK  some is there anyone who can check the codes on the trans? again !  Try a new boost sensor maybe!

Edited by fjh

Bro so what kind of boost is the truck developing! ? you should be developing 30 psi boost depending on horse power rating!

Thinking boost leak here! Trailing smoke pyro running hot!?

Edited by fjh

26 minutes ago, Reid said:

we are between 6 and 47.... it ranges a little much.  we just added a turbo, actuator and boost sensor

i am a novice in this, so im sorry if it sounds that way.

Bro absolutely no way your making 47 boost! So try and observe if you are trailing grey black  smoke while pulling hard ! If you are then start looking for boost leaks you cant keep blindly throwing parts  to expensive! Common  Failures are Aftercooler cracks The steel tube that goes behind the engine that feeds the air compressor has a hose at either end that can burst! There is a whole bunch of guys on this site that will lend a hand to try and help just keep checking back here! Check for a crack top rh charge air cooler and them hoses I talked about! Others may chime in with other fixes! You needed to have created your own post for this however! when you post here present All of the truck info And All of the stuff you have done so far! the model /year and hp rating really help nail things down  We will try to help! Right now I'm confused  as to what engine it is no EGR on trucks 2004 and earlier !So what year and model of truck is it! I am currently giving advice for a non EGR Engine! Makes A big difference! If you have an EGR engine it is possible to plug the boost blow off and acheive over 40 psi boost!

It sounds like you got the fuel  aside from some programing glitch or boost leaks your truck should pull!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1