Mp8

alexb

I heard on Saturday that the new Mack motors are made by Volvo. Does anybody know if there is any truth to that???? I hope this is not true!!!

Unfortunately they are. There are some brand specific differences between the Volvo D11/Mack MP7, Volvo D13/Mack MP8, and Volvo D16/Mack MP10 but they share the same block. There are other shared components between Volvo and Mack as well, besides the engine.

I keep hearing from lots of drivers on how to stay away from the Volvo engines. So what does that say about Mack???

[/quote]The engine is no worse than anyone elses engine .The stuff bolted to the engine is the problem and is also everyone elses problem cat would be still producing engines for trucks if it wern't for the rubush that had to be bolted to the engine to meet emmisions.

Unfortunately they are. There are some brand specific differences between the Volvo D11/Mack MP7, Volvo D13/Mack MP8, and Volvo D16/Mack MP10 but they share the same block. There are other shared components between Volvo and Mack as well, besides the engine.

Just to clarify, the MP7 and D11 are the same base engines, the MP8 and D13 are the same base engines, and the MP10 and D16 are the same base engines. Supposedly the software in the ecu is the big difference.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Just to clarify, the MP7 and D11 are the same base engines, the MP8 and D13 are the same base engines, and the MP10 and D16 are the same base engines. Supposedly the software in the ecu is the big difference.

........And the paint color!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

the mp series engines are just like any other. with good service plans the are as reliable as the old 237s but if you abuse them they will be junk just like any other. the truck i drive is a 09 granite with a mp8 485 and i like the engine verry well. im a mack fan through and through i have a DM 600 with a 237 that will start any time you turn the key and the mp8 is almost as good except for the emissions crap that is on them. at first i didnt like them. but now i think they are ok. they are still better than a cummins in my book. after all they cant be that bad they still say mack on them.after a few recalls on them mack has got them sorted out pretty well... joe

O.K. so i put my 2cents in too quick. today i drove my friends truck it also has a 485mp8 and his dog must have parvo or something. it doesnt have anywhere near as much power as mine and they are speced the same. i also noticed that when pulling a hill loaded and the pedal on the floor the truck would smother and sound like it was back fireing but if you only mash it only about 3/4 of the way it would run better. we changed fuel filters /air filters yesterday when the trucks were serviced. but i didnt help. he has been saying this about this truck for a while but we thought he was joking about the truck. can anyone tell me how to clear the codes or at least get them to flash so we can put them on here and get some help for the truck. the truck is a 09 Granite.. joe

O.K. so i put my 2cents in too quick. today i drove my friends truck it also has a 485mp8 and his dog must have parvo or something. it doesnt have anywhere near as much power as mine and they are speced the same. i also noticed that when pulling a hill loaded and the pedal on the floor the truck would smother and sound like it was back fireing but if you only mash it only about 3/4 of the way it would run better. we changed fuel filters /air filters yesterday when the trucks were serviced. but i didnt help. he has been saying this about this truck for a while but we thought he was joking about the truck. can anyone tell me how to clear the codes or at least get them to flash so we can put them on here and get some help for the truck. the truck is a 09 Granite.. joe

Is there an active fault code? If you have a DID (driver information display) switch (looks like a turn signal switch, but on the wrong side of the steering wheel) you should be able to access the fault codes. If there is no DID switch there should be a small button in the center of the dash cluster that you can push and hold momentarily that will display fault code numbers. The faults are displayed as a set of three numbers, not as flashes. There will be an MID number (probably 128, 142, or 144) to indicate the ecu reporting the fault. The next number will be a PID, SID, PPID, or PSID to indicate the subsystem of the ecu that is faulted (for instance injectors), and the third is an FMI that indicates the failure type (an open circuit, voltage shorted high, voltage shorted low, mechanical failure, etc). Record all three numbers. If you have your operators manual that was in the truck when new this information should be in it.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"