I recently came across a 1977 rs700l mack for sale. Originally had a 375 V8(long gone,now a 300)12 spd trans, camelback suspension and budd wheels.The truck is in decent shape but it does need rocker panels and maybe a door.Interior is still in nice shape as is the hood and the original front bumper.If i get it, the E9 setting in the corner of my garage would be cool under the hood! Has anyone put an e9 in a rs700??? Thanks!

I recently came across a 1977 rs700l mack for sale. Originally had a 375 V8(long gone,now a 300)12 spd trans, camelback suspension and budd wheels.The truck is in decent shape but it does need rocker panels and maybe a door.Interior is still in nice shape as is the hood and the original front bumper.If i get it, the E9 setting in the corner of my garage would be cool under the hood! Has anyone put an e9 in a rs700??? Thanks!

Hi, I will be doing the same when the 375 goes bang. rocker panels still available from mack, it comes with the under side section to.

Grant

While I've never put an E9 into anything it will fit without too many problems. You will however expend funds for ancillary equipment to make all line up and out. You will probably need to change the radiator as all the V8 engines I've been around use dual outlet from the engine for radiator hoses. If the radiator has aluminum tanks it very well may have a cover for the opening on the unused side. In that case just get the proper neck to bolt onto the tank and you will be good to go.

I like the RS, and RL series of trucks as the grille and minor differences are appealing to me. I never really seen too many of them around when I was growing up but a lot of 600 series trucks of all variants were prevelant.

I'm sure you are well aware of the cost to work on an E9 and it's getting no less expensive as time goes on. Just be careful, watch your gauges, and use a light foot on the go pedal and it will last till your done with it.......

I'd do the same thing with my Project R-12 if I had an E9 rather than the engine I'm planning to use. I'll never use the capacity I have in my lifetime cause I'm too cheap to run it hard and hurt it.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi, I will be doing the same when the 375 goes bang. rocker panels still available from mack, it comes with the under side section to.

Grant

Yes and rockers only take about an hour and a half per side to install on that cab.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yes and rockers only take about an hour and a half per side to install on that cab.

Rob

I have always liked the long hood r model too! This truck is on it second owner and has been here in PA all its life. First owner hauled beer up north then he retired and sold it to a oil field outfit. This truck was a hell of a runner when it had the 375 in it,then the oil people used too much foot,not enough brain and blew it up! Already have a set of new rockers and a set of new doors so we are good to go there. I will have to work on the price and see what happens. Thanks!

:SMOKIE-LFT: I go up to the Truck Rodeo in Notre Dame Du Nord Quebec every august, and there is a black R model up there repowered with an E9 400, it just competes in the bobtail class it's named Mecatec and is pretty impressive. I think that there is some video footage of it on youtube.

I have not seen a E9 in a RS700 yet but they did put V12 detroits in them (factory build) plenty of room to fit a E9.

If they already put a front mount intercooler in front of the radiator for the 300... 1/4 your battel is done. alot of the RS models had the front engine mount tied in with the rad mount (all in one casting) leaving no room for a front mount intercooler between the rad and hood....hopefully they made room for one? Engine mounts may need to be changed/relocated back and a new hole may bee needed in the cab floor for the stick shift lever. If the truck has power steering it may need some provision to get the steering linkage to work? if its still set up for the older V8 you should be fine.

would love to see some pics of the project!

on the topics of rs does anyone have a wiring diagram for a rs600l I bought one last year and this past jan I started to work on it and the guy i bought it off of just cut wires and I am having a hell of a time tring to find a wiring diagram local mack dealer doesnt have anything for a west coast mack as far as the question about inserting a e9 it will be tough because the truck that I got originally had a 237 with a 6 spd in it then in the 90s the company that owned before the guy I bought it off of put a 350 4 vavle with a 13 spd and the guy bought it to use parts off of it but they wouldnt work with his trucks a they were the older 350 2 valves so they left the topend unassembled and the cylinders rusted to the sleeves so i found a 250 4 vavle and after a week of fabricating I made the a front mount to enable the install of the new motor so you may have to have a front mount fabricatd to mount the e9 depending on the mount taht is on the e9