Need Help With Value Of 1988 Superliner

Drove both the Mack and an extended hood A this week. The Mack was bobtail and the A had a trailer on... that's not really a fair comparison.

Of course the A drove like a Cadillac, but it has a 290" wheelbase, all new tires and wheels. It has a 72" Double Eagle flattop, a 6NZ Caterpillar, and a 15spd. The owner has at least $85,000 in it.

The Mack drove a lot like my cabover. It has a little bounce/hop to it, of course we were bobtail, and this isn't really a fair comparison. My cabover bounces/hops when it is bobtailing, but is smooth when it has some weight on. The other day I rode in an extended hood A (bobtail) that bounced/hopped. I know the owner has over $100000 in it. Frankly I was quite surprised (with the A). I do feel part of the issue on my test ride in the Superliner came from the tires, which are mostly worn. It seems to be that it could use an alignment as well, although there is no odd tire wear. I have ten new Goodyears on my cabover and I imagine if I put them on the Mack, plus the Centramatics (from the COE) I think it would be a different truck altogether.

For both the A and the Mack I would prefer some sort of cruise control, that would make the longer trips a little more enjoyable. I'm going to check with Cruise King today to see if they do cruise control on mechanical Macks. If anyone has information on this, it would be appreciated.

I received information from Double Eagle Sleepers yesterday. They are amazing. They do not come cheap. I also got pictures of a 60" Able that needs full restoration.

I've got a lot to think about with this whole deal right now.

I appreciate your help and comments, and if I do not buy the Mack I will post up its location and the owners phone number.

Best Regards,

TOM

I cann't help you with the hood question, just wanted to say hello and tell you that one of the first trucks I ever drove was a 1978 K100 with the big cam Cummins in it. It had been with Allied van lines at one time and was yellow and white with a 13 od. That ole girls dash looked like the cockpit in a 747 there were so many guages. Also it had the old style New Way air ride. I do hope you buy the Bulldog as she needs a good home. However if your looking for a Bulldog that will kick some a$$, find one with the 996 cubic inch E-9 mack. That sir is pure power. Check out The Buckeye Bulldog on you tube. Or Killer mack both are Superliners that have the Mighty E-9 seriously modified but an E-9 none the less. 4000 horses.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

First things first, anything is possible!

A Superliner hood will not fit an R-model, without alot of work.

1. Length of the hoods are different.

2. Cowl shape on a Superliner is square for the hood seat, an R has the hood contour along the cowl for the hood seat.

3. Hinge arrangement is different.

4. ...

Like I said anything is possible. You could change an R's cowl panels and attempt to shorten and widen a Superliner hood to fit but it would be alot of work.

If you want a Superliner, buy a Superliner. Happy hunting.

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

Also, can a V8 be swapped in at a later date? This 350hp 4 valve is 100% freshly overhauled.

The headlight swap can be accomplished fairly easily,but will reqiure some modification/bodywork to the fenders,as the round headlight assembly will not cover the square set-up. as far as the E-9 swap, my question would be why? with a fresh ovehaul the 350 should last a long,long time! btw,that RL-700 in the photo you posted has some "moviestar" history, pretty famous truck in its day, always liked the RL/RS series...just my 2 cents!..mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Expressing unsolicited opinions only:

By reading the threads the starter has posted both here, and Large Car, he should probably move to another truck. Not meaning any negativity at all but this truck does not fit close enough to what he wants to end up without a cost prohibitive influx of funds to get it there. It is a very nice truck and probably worth the money for someone that plans to use it to make a living, but that kind of cost is not prudent for a part time operation and with, (as has been mentioned) upcoming education expenses for the kiddos. This is reality in pure form; "Family comes first and the toys wait". Robbing, or negating family expenses to fund personal wants and desires is really not the way to go. There is a very nice KW cabover restored and personalized as a "sunken investment" already in the collection that has been mentioned to rob parts from to get the new Superliner up to par; If one has to consider robbing Peter to pay Paul, nothing is gained. Unless the poster is an independently wealthy trucker, or likes to post searching for ideas to do nothing with, nothing should transpire, or any transaction take place.

For those that don't know what a "sunken investment" is: Simply stated it is the sum of monies invested into something that may, or may not pay dividends upon sale, or discharge of the investment. Automobiles, housing, and companies all have the possibility, and at times probability, of being losers.

I wouldn't take enjoyment seeing this truck back on the market in a couple of years with a new Double Eagle sleeper, extended wheelbase, and other possible personal touches offered at a significant loss to the owner due to being "upside down" in the value, but I do see this as a real possibility.

Be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have to agree with Rob, The value is there but the poster doesn't really want a Mack , it seems he wants a hood. It makes no sense to undo so much of what the present owner has done . I don't think the poster appreciates what he is looking at and what it 'is' , and what it 'is not' . I am not questioning his quality, care ,or commitment in any way , but I think he is missing the essence of a Mack. You're cat is all cudly and sweet when she wants to be but you're dog sits by your side through thick and thin, feeling what you feel, he understands your concern, and feels you're pain and you're joy. she gives you her undying loyalty, never interrupts you , never lets you down . she is always ready even on her worst days , you can depend on her and she will always go wherever you want and never complain . A Mack is not a large car, it is a Truck.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Rob, The value is there but the poster doesn't really want a Mack , it seems he wants a hood. It makes no sense to undo so much of what the present owner has done . I don't think the poster appreciates what he is looking at and what it 'is' , and what it 'is not' . I am not questioning his quality, care ,or commitment in any way , but I think he is missing the essence of a Mack. You're cat is all cudly and sweet when she wants to be but you're dog sits by your side through thick and thin, feeling what you feel, he understands your concern, and feels you're pain and you're joy. she gives you her undying loyalty, never interrupts you , never lets you down . she is always ready even on her worst days , you can depend on her and she will always go wherever you want and never complain . A Mack is not a large car, it is a Truck.

AMEN

This is a sketch of the bunk that I am interested in...

VanHulzenMack.jpg

And I would like to know if it is possible to mount this style hood on the Superliner, and what is involved in doing so...

OldMack-1.jpg

Thanks

TOM

if you do not see the difference in these two pictures, you wouldn't understand

Expressing unsolicited opinions only:

By reading the threads the starter has posted both here, and Large Car, he should probably move to another truck. Not meaning any negativity at all but this truck does not fit close enough to what he wants to end up without a cost prohibitive influx of funds to get it there. It is a very nice truck and probably worth the money for someone that plans to use it to make a living, but that kind of cost is not prudent for a part time operation and with, (as has been mentioned) upcoming education expenses for the kiddos. This is reality in pure form; "Family comes first and the toys wait". Robbing, or negating family expenses to fund personal wants and desires is really not the way to go. There is a very nice KW cabover restored and personalized as a "sunken investment" already in the collection that has been mentioned to rob parts from to get the new Superliner up to par; If one has to consider robbing Peter to pay Paul, nothing is gained. Unless the poster is an independently wealthy trucker, or likes to post searching for ideas to do nothing with, nothing should transpire, or any transaction take place.

For those that don't know what a "sunken investment" is: Simply stated it is the sum of monies invested into something that may, or may not pay dividends upon sale, or discharge of the investment. Automobiles, housing, and companies all have the possibility, and at times probability, of being losers.

I wouldn't take enjoyment seeing this truck back on the market in a couple of years with a new Double Eagle sleeper, extended wheelbase, and other possible personal touches offered at a significant loss to the owner due to being "upside down" in the value, but I do see this as a real possibility.

Be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Rob

This is excellent advice. I agree with everything you wrote, except one thing. I don't necessarily see taking my 10 brand new Goodyears on the 10 freshly polished, and fully balanced aluminum wheels, as robbing anything other than $4500 worth of new tires, and $1000 worth of rims. To me it makes good business sense. That $5500 investment, does not add $5500 worth of value to the COE. I could machine polish the Mack wheels, with their 30% virgin Dunlops, and they would make fine tires/wheels for the next owner of the COE, should I choose to sell it.

I love that DE bunk, but it does make my investment in this truck quite significant, and that investment would exceed the value of the truck, this alone does concern me. The other problem with that $23K+ bunk... it ONLY fits on a Mack (because of the exhaust recesses). So should I ever sell the Mack, the bunk could not be removed, and the 36" reinstalled.

I have money tied up in the COE this is true, but when all is said and done, and if I sell the truck, I do believe I will come out ahead (albeit slightly).

"Wants a hood..." Exactly right... 100% agreed.

I really appreciate your comments... this is the kind of advice I am seeking.

Tremendously well written.

And I do see the difference in the two pictures posted in the reply a couple above this, but it took your post to make me think about it and really LOOK at the pictures.

This is what I see... One trucks looks completely natural, and is obviously an old school hard-working truck. This kind of truck you don't see anymore, kind of like my cabover. Their working days have gone by. Maybe someone uses them part-time or they goto shows. They rode hard, but worked hard, and you could fix them, with SAE tools, duct tape, and a test light. They dripped oil, and rattled. Their dashboards were metal. They were made to last, and did. Our grandfathers drove them. I love that old Mack.

The other Mack is trying to be old school, but isn't. Its 1988 model year sticks it somewhere in the middle, at least for the next decade or so. I am attracted to the truck itself because it is tough, it is a Mack, and it is fully overhauled and ready to work for a reasonable amount of money. Now add the Double Eagle bunk... That changes the truck significantly. It reminds me of a the time I saw my buddy, who does road construction and is one tough dude, dressed in a suit. The suit fit him... but he didn't necessarily look right in it. It was different, not in bad way. Just different.

Now enter in this 60" Able bunk I found. I don't think that would get the same negative reaction from you folks, or negatively affect the value, or create a significant sunken investment, as the bunk could be bought reasonably, then restored by me. It would have the interior I wanted it to have, and would look correct on the truck.

The body line boils down to this...

1. Do I want a Mack or an A model?

And I do understand they are two completely different ladies...

Thanks again.

Edited by bell206b3

This is excellent advice. I agree with everything you wrote, except one thing. I don't necessarily see taking my 10 brand new Goodyears on the 10 freshly polished, and fully balanced aluminum wheels, as robbing anything other than $4500 worth of new tires, and $1000 worth of rims. To me it makes good business sense. That $5500 investment, does not add $5500 worth of value to the COE. I could machine polish the Mack wheels, with their 30% virgin Dunlops, and they would make fine tires/wheels for the next owner of the COE, should I choose to sell it.

I love that DE bunk, but it does make my investment in this truck quite significant, and that investment would exceed the value of the truck, this alone does concern me. The other problem with that $23K+ bunk... it ONLY fits on a Mack (because of the exhaust recesses). So should I ever sell the Mack, the bunk could not be removed, and the 36" reinstalled.

I have money tied up in the COE this is true, but when all is said and done, and if I sell the truck, I do believe I will come out ahead (albeit slightly).

"Wants a hood..." Exactly right... 100% agreed.

I really appreciate your comments... this is the kind of advice I am seeking.

Hi Tom, lets look at this a bit further. The ten tires currently installed onto the Superliner are at about 30% if memory serves, and they have been setting for several years as mentioned. By this factor alone, they need replaced. It would not be in one's best interest to try to run these out on a working truck at rated capacity and expect them to deliver good service. This truck sure is nice but I've repaired/rebuilt so many hoods and lowers from exploding aged tires through the years that I would not entertain anything other than replacing them. If you swap over the 10 new tires from the KW, you have detracted from the resale value of the truck, (KW) considerably. You, as the owner of both vehicles may not see this action as detrimental, but it will certainly not help matters should you decide to turn the unit. A vehicle that has brand new rubber installed will always be worth more than something with 30% remaining, if only in appeal. You have already stated tires were $4500.00 and that is quite a bit of money to me. Something else that has been mentioned is that you were comfortable with an $18,000.00 purchase price on the Superliner. If it is given 10 new tires, it is in the ballpark on price, and your comfort level. This would be a bargaining tool for me. I would also look at the appeal to an operating trucker of the COE itself. Those guys are much fewer and further between than someone with a "hood" as they say. The COE has a real possibility of being a losing proposition with the exception of someone reliving their "glory days" or retirement an I think it would be with some difficulty to realize say $18000.00 for an older unit no matter how nice, and that could be just me.

I'm certainly not trying to be negative on your purchase but it sounds like this purchase is not prudent to be positive. Personal likes and desires is another factor that can only be reconciled within oneself.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Tremendously well written.

And I do see the difference in the two pictures posted in the reply a couple above this, but it took your post to make me think about it and really LOOK at the pictures.

This is what I see... One trucks looks completely natural, and is obviously an old school hard-working truck. This kind of truck you don't see anymore, kind of like my cabover. Their working days have gone by. Maybe someone uses them part-time or they goto shows. They rode hard, but worked hard, and you could fix them, with SAE tools, duct tape, and a test light. They dripped oil, and rattled. Their dashboards were metal. They were made to last, and did. Our grandfathers drove them. I love that old Mack.

The other Mack is trying to be old school, but isn't. Its 1988 model year sticks it somewhere in the middle, at least for the next decade or so. I am attracted to the truck itself because it is tough, it is a Mack, and it is fully overhauled and ready to work for a reasonable amount of money. Now add the Double Eagle bunk... That changes the truck significantly. It reminds me of a the time I saw my buddy, who does road construction and is one tough dude, dressed in a suit. The suit fit him... but he didn't necessarily look right in it. It was different, not in bad way. Just different.

Now enter in this 60" Able bunk I found. I don't think that would get the same negative reaction from you folks, or negatively affect the value, or create a significant sunken investment, as the bunk could be bought reasonably, then restored by me. It would have the interior I wanted it to have, and would look correct on the truck.

The body line boils down to this...

1. Do I want a Mack or an A model?

And I do understand they are two completely different ladies...

Thanks again.

they still make trucks like that. this is that R model's daughter.

this is just an opinion but i think you are comparing the wrong mack to the A model. Have you looked at an LT model mack???? i think that would be apple to apple

post-4852-127273532793_thumb.jpg

Rob,

The tires are 30%, but they aren't that old. The truck has been owned by the same fellow for 20 years, but was working until 10 months ago. I can't imagine the previous owner ran them 100K plus miles if they were old... I will check sidewalls to confirm though, as you bring up an excellent point.

I agree with many of your points, on old tires, cabovers, taking the tires off my machine, the works.

I'm certainly a long way from a final decision... but as I think about it now... tihs Mack might be a "right" truck... but just not "the" right truck.

I will look at that LT truck... but it doesn't have the "old" appearance that keeps me out there going down the road.

If it looks like it was popular in the 1970s or early 1980s, that's what I am after.

Edited by bell206b3

Rob,

The tires are 30%, but they aren't that old. The truck has been owned by the same fellow for 20 years, but was working until 10 months ago. I can't imagine the previous owner ran them 100K plus miles if they were old... I will check sidewalls to confirm though, as you bring up an excellent point.

I agree with many of your points, on old tires, cabovers, taking the tires off my machine, the works.

I'm certainly a long way from a final decision... but as I think about it now... tihs Mack might be a "right" truck... but just not "the" right truck.

I will look at that LT truck... but it doesn't have the "old" appearance that keeps me out there going down the road.

If it looks like it was popular in the 1970s or early 1980s, that's what I am after.

The "LT" series was much more popular in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's than they were in the 80's. The last produced were in about 1955 if I remember correctly.

I think you will be surprised at what the "LT" series of trucks bring in either moderate, or rough condition. One could easily have 50-100 large bills in it if done up period correct with a modern driveline. Always nice to see one of them operating, but not too many around any longer.

From your posts my own beliefs are that you would be well served by an RL, or RS 700 series tractor just as I am. My trucks are all hobby units and do not need to justify their existence as I make my living in the transportation industry, but non truck related. There are still several copies in existence and I believe them to be the next "up and comming" units of collectability.

I too would like to have a Superliner someday, but acknowlege I will probably need to build my own from several donors. I have the capability, space, equipment, and limited knowlege, (very limited) a lot of folks do not to perform this type of work, but truthfully, time is lacking for work on my own stuff. Just as you, I know how to ask questions and it's always got me through the rough spots. This is a very good website for explanation and clarification, (Mack related) that offers many unbiased opinions. Of course there are a few "shady characters" on here too but I'm not one of them..............

Rob

Rob,

hey I have a 81' peterbilt 359 ALL ORGINIAL $6000obo I think the 359 was popular in the 70's and early 80's post-2423-127275548589_thumb.jpgpost-2423-127275554943_thumb.jpgpost-2423-127275558234_thumb.jpg

The "LT" series was much more popular in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's than they were in the 80's. The last produced were in about 1955 if I remember correctly.

I think you will be surprised at what the "LT" series of trucks bring in either moderate, or rough condition. One could easily have 50-100 large bills in it if done up period correct with a modern driveline. Always nice to see one of them operating, but not too many around any longer.

From your posts my own beliefs are that you would be well served by an RL, or RS 700 series tractor just as I am. My trucks are all hobby units and do not need to justify their existence as I make my living in the transportation industry, but non truck related. There are still several copies in existence and I believe them to be the next "up and comming" units of collectability.

I too would like to have a Superliner someday, but acknowlege I will probably need to build my own from several donors. I have the capability, space, equipment, and limited knowlege, (very limited) a lot of folks do not to perform this type of work, but truthfully, time is lacking for work on my own stuff. Just as you, I know how to ask questions and it's always got me through the rough spots. This is a very good website for explanation and clarification, (Mack related) that offers many unbiased opinions. Of course there are a few "shady characters" on here too but I'm not one of them..............

Rob

If this poster does the modifications that he is talking about - changing over to a V8 engine, the large sleeper, custom paint job will wind up well in excess of 50K.

That LT is sharp... I did not realize that was the model the poster was referring too.

You mention you make your living in transportation... I'm wondering if it is the the same style of transportation I do... hence the user id... bell206b3

That LT is sharp... I did not realize that was the model the poster was referring too.

You mention you make your living in transportation... I'm wondering if it is the the same style of transportation I do... hence the user id... bell206b3

I assumed you either worked for Bell/Textron, or operated one of their helicopters. I don't know much about rotary winged aircraft and just a few fixed wing.

Myself, I work for the Federal Aviation Admin. full time and have for over 25 years. It's been a good job that I still find challenging, yet rewarding and enjoyable. As I near retirement within the next few years, I worry. The ethics and participation of the younger set is not what it needs to be.

Another few bits of useless trivia about me:

I retain the remnants of my autobody shop that ran full time in conjunction with the federal job for 23 of those years. The autobody shop is how I funded the college educations of my wife, son, and daughter with no education loans to repay. I, with my wife was non wavering in demands of unencumberd scholastic participation with good grades as reward for the effort expended. Our goals were achieved as envisioned, with little sidetrack. I then shut the shop down to allow me some personal "playroom" with my trucks which have always kept my interest.

This is why I have such concern of someone expending great funds to satisfy a personal need, or want when they have serious expenditures to make and endure in the future. Budgeting for college education needs to start at a very young age as there is no greater responsibility in this world as parental support for their offspring. Our kids are our future, as we are theirs. I do not believe in credit as in consumer loans. One check, one payment is the way things need to be done. There is no way to get ahead in constant debt. Our country, or the world for that matter, would not be in the mess we are if others practiced life such as we.

The tangent is concluded.

Rob