Gear Ratio

Where the hell do you go where that's needed??? lol

I'd be happy with full lockers.....aaannnnnndddd 600+hp.

I just spent the afternoon putting a new radiator in the truck, couple new air horns...next is to rig up the fog light switch for my 'chicken' lights and then some full fenders...

i have the full lockers and i would be a lot happier with regular mack 40,000 carriers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the full lockers and i would be a lot happier with regular mack 40,000 carriers

The thing I didn't like about a few trucks I've driven with full lockers is that it was all-or-nothing. Either you were fully locked in (and couldn't steer), or you weren't locked in at all (and couldn't move). Then I drove a company freightshaker that had full lockers on the 2 separate switches...which worked out well. When you needed power from both axles, you could engage the power divider. When you needed power from both sides, you could lock the diffs. When you found yourself in a sticky situation and needed max traction, you could flip both switches and be fully locked.

My truck has 38K Mack rears...wouldn't mind swapping 'em for full lockers (but they gotta be Mack). Shouldn't be too hard to put a 2nd switch in the dash and run air from it to the diff locks. I've got 4.17 gearing in my rears now...if that changed any, I'd either go to 4.35 and keep the 11R24.5 tires or I'd go up to a 12R24.5 tire with 5.04 gearing. B)

Yup. Still spendin' money in my head that I ain't got :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Are you offroad a lot more than on or what...5:04's?

Just go buy an old 6x6 and slap a 5th wheel on it.

Last summer I looked at a cherry '00 CH w/460 13sp and 4:17 rears, the low gears broke the sale for me. I want be able to do 70-75 and have enough left for 85, case there's a car load of naked ladies flyin down the highway.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Last summer I looked at a cherry '00 CH w/460 13sp and 4:17 rears, the low gears broke the sale for me. I want be able to do 70-75 and have enough left for 85, case there's a car load of naked ladies flyin down the highway.

I've got 4.17's in mine...they do aight, I guess. It'll run 70-75 mph all day long...doesn't tach out 'til the low-to-mid 80's. The reason for the 5.04's would be that I've never seen a 12R24.5 tire rated for more than 65 mph...and 65 mph with 12R24.5 tires and 5.04 rears would happen around 1700 (give or take). If you put bigger tires on the truck without changing the gearing, you won't pull as well...gotta change 'em both for best performance, and I like big tires (read the damn sig line :lol: ) Besides...it's a truck. It oughtta pull like a Muthaf***a....that's what makes the money. B) Faster top speeds only git ya in trouble...which costs ya money and possibly your license. :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

at what rpm was 70mph?

with my 393 and 22.5 my shut down kiks in befor the govenor. at 88 mph i was watching road more than tack

The thing I didn't like about a few trucks I've driven with full lockers is that it was all-or-nothing. Either you were fully locked in (and couldn't steer), or you weren't locked in at all (and couldn't move). Then I drove a company freightshaker that had full lockers on the 2 separate switches...which worked out well. When you needed power from both axles, you could engage the power divider. When you needed power from both sides, you could lock the diffs. When you found yourself in a sticky situation and needed max traction, you could flip both switches and be fully locked.

My truck has 38K Mack rears...wouldn't mind swapping 'em for full lockers (but they gotta be Mack). Shouldn't be too hard to put a 2nd switch in the dash and run air from it to the diff locks. I've got 4.17 gearing in my rears now...if that changed any, I'd either go to 4.35 and keep the 11R24.5 tires or I'd go up to a 12R24.5 tire with 5.04 gearing. B)

they are eaton full lockers thats why i said i would like it more with just regular mack carriers

Yup. Still spendin' money in my head that I ain't got :pat:

at what rpm was 70mph?

with my 393 and 22.5 my shut down kiks in befor the govenor. at 88 mph i was watching road more than tack

On 2 wheels, 90 mph is "relaxed cruising speed". In an 18, though, 80 mph is a "white knuckle, edge of the seat, keep yer eyes open fer them bears, hope I don't get a ticket" kinda ride :pat:

I keep saying I've got 4.17's...that's what I was told when I bought it...but the more I run the numbers, either my tach and/or speedometer are off, or it's got bigger gears....like 4.35 or even 4.42 gears :wacko: One of these days, I need to figure it out...

at what rpm was 70mph?

I didn't get it going that fast. It had tall 24.5's and at 55 it was 1350rpm in top gear. My truck w/3:86 and tall 22.5's is 1475rpm at 65mph...and I don't think it pulls (it'll rev, but not pull) beyond 1800rpm.

On 2 wheels, 90 mph is "relaxed cruising speed". In an 18, though, 80 mph is a "white knuckle, edge of the seat, keep yer eyes open fer them bears, hope I don't get a ticket" kinda ride :pat:

I keep saying I've got 4.17's...that's what I was told when I bought it...but the more I run the numbers, either my tach and/or speedometer are off, or it's got bigger gears....like 4.35 or even 4.42 gears :wacko: One of these days, I need to figure it out...

wow with gears like that it's gota pull like it's pissedoff

i love short legged trucks.

Drop a dime to your local dealer with your VIN#...they'll be able to tell you. OR, crawl underneath and chisel away 10 years worth of grease, mud and other assorted shit to find the numbers on the side of the carrier.

I didn't get it going that fast. It had tall 24.5's and at 55 it was 1350rpm in top gear. My truck w/3:86 and tall 22.5's is 1475rpm at 65mph...and I don't think it pulls (it'll rev, but not pull) beyond 1800rpm.

i know what you mean rev past 1800 but not pull.

When my tach says 1800, my GPS says 75. With the 11R24.5 tires and the T2180B w/ .71 top gear, that would make the rears closer to 4.42. 4.17's ought to be pushing 80 mph @ 1800 rpm.

I know my speedometer ain't reading right...reads out 5 mph slower than the GPS (which is weird...usually discrepancies are a % of the speed)...the question is the accuracy of the tach.

Ahhh...how do I explain...it'll 'free'(?) rev to 2100 but it won't make any power (build boost or whatever) past 1800...?

For example, I can go in reverse(no load) at 2100rpm...but driving down the road it'll quit 'pulling'(boost tails off etc) at 1800.

Ahhh...how do I explain...it'll 'free'(?) rev to 2100 but it won't make any power (build boost or whatever) past 1800...?

For example, I can go in reverse(no load) at 2100rpm...but driving down the road it'll quit 'pulling'(boost tails off etc) at 1800.

Yup. Did pretty good 'splainin it. My truck will grunt & pull the load from 1200 rpm on up....it'll pull like a motherf***er between 1400 and 1800 (if it decides to build boost pressure...it's hit-or-miss :pat: sometimes there is 30+ psi, sometimes I'm lucky to get more than 20 :angry: ). At 1800, it falls on it's face. Even if it HAD built 30 or so psi of boost, as soon as it gets to 1800 rpm, boost pressure drops to 20 and even as RPM's go down the boost doesn't come back. It really OUGHT to pull better than it does...

Been 130K since I ran the overhead...was going to do it last month but had to dump the money into the transmission instead. Hopefully I'll have enough left over after taxes to take care of it...but then I'll be needing tires probably late summer/early winter. Been a year and a half on this rubber already...

I need to win the lotto or something... :pat:

Yup. Did pretty good 'splainin it. My truck will grunt & pull the load from 1200 rpm on up....it'll pull like a motherf***er between 1400 and 1800 (if it decides to build boost pressure...it's hit-or-miss :pat: sometimes there is 30+ psi, sometimes I'm lucky to get more than 20 :angry: ). At 1800, it falls on it's face. Even if it HAD built 30 or so psi of boost, as soon as it gets to 1800 rpm, boost pressure drops to 20 and even as RPM's go down the boost doesn't come back. It really OUGHT to pull better than it does...

Been 130K since I ran the overhead...was going to do it last month but had to dump the money into the transmission instead. Hopefully I'll have enough left over after taxes to take care of it...but then I'll be needing tires probably late summer/early winter. Been a year and a half on this rubber already...

I need to win the lotto or something... :pat:

I've got the same problem, sometimes it'll pull like a raped ape, others it's just damn sluggish-more often than not.

Mine's going to the 'doctor' on monday for a checkup. I don't know if I have a turbo bad or the pump is bad, either way there's 702k on the original setup. My dealer won't take the time to hook it up to the computer and check on the settings, this place will and he'll work with me being a picky bitch.

I've got the same problem, sometimes it'll pull like a raped ape, others it's just damn sluggish-more often than not.

Mine's going to the 'doctor' on monday for a checkup. I don't know if I have a turbo bad or the pump is bad, either way there's 702k on the original setup. My dealer won't take the time to hook it up to the computer and check on the settings, this place will and he'll work with me being a picky bitch.

I've only got 429K on mine...SHOULDN'T be having problems... :angry:

It's an '07...DPF...you can have it. When I was looking at trucks, I found an '86 pete with a 3406B 425hp cat & 15 speed. It was a fire dept truck...VERY clean...VERY low miles (like in the 20K neighborhood). From the pics, it looked to be in showroom condition. Unfortunately, I didn't call on it...I've heard them old 425 cats would pull pretty good.

I'd rather have thissun :thumb:

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2103450

Pull the dump box off & put on a 5th wheel, paint it white and I'd run it...

Ahh...it doesn't have those stupid lookin mufflers on it that thost DPF trucks have, that one has regular mufflers.

I can't go with an old(er) truck, I need my creature comforts.

It's an '07...DPF...you can have it. When I was looking at trucks, I found an '86 pete with a 3406B 425hp cat & 15 speed. It was a fire dept truck...VERY clean...VERY low miles (like in the 20K neighborhood). From the pics, it looked to be in showroom condition. Unfortunately, I didn't call on it...I've heard them old 425 cats would pull pretty good.

I'd rather have thissun thumb.gif

http://www.truckpape...px?OHID=2103450

I've looked at, and drove that truck with the owner, (not the seller). He would not budge from $7500.00 or I'd have had it. That one with some routine maintenance performed is ready to work. Everything was working. The guy has owned it for over 25 years and used to work it, but has retired a few years ago.

I'd be willing to bet that one will still work when the new ones are going for parts. It was listed on ebay a couple of times also.

The 3406B with updated timing gearsets and upped in fuel delivery and timing altering is one hell of a dependable engine. I have several friends with that setup and they pull new equipment out of Cat with them nearly every day.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

that quad box will kill your shoulder mine still hurts from 20 years ago.

Air assist steering wil break your thumb if'n your not careful

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Wow!

Other than the rust spreading and cracking of the frame just underneath the hoist frame and that broken out section of the R fender that truck is in real nice restorable condition.

Nice set of new virgin Dunlops on the drives too.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

i like the truck you have better

Yea...mine didn't cost as much as a fairly nice house either.

So anyway, after all this b.s....did you get your question answered...???