•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

High Engine Oil Temp

• Please log in to reply
    2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   acegreaser

acegreaser

Over Drive

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 22 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:ch612
    • Year:1990

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

Customer has a 2001 460 with 68,000 original miles {checked computer for accuracy}Engine oil temp goes up to 230 degrees on uphill climbs.Also when it gets hot oil pressure at idle goes down to 15 psi.Oil pressure goes up to 55 at 1200 rpms and at idle 23psi then once it gets hot it goes down to 15 psi.Water temp running normal 180-200 cycling with fan.Verified oil pressure through the computer and a positive gauge at the filter housing.Any suggestions would be appriciated.

#2 OFFLINE   RowdyRebel

RowdyRebel

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,542 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:CH613
    • Year:2001

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

Customer has a 2001 460 with 68,000 original miles {checked computer for accuracy}Engine oil temp goes up to 230 degrees on uphill climbs.Also when it gets hot oil pressure at idle goes down to 15 psi.Oil pressure goes up to 55 at 1200 rpms and at idle 23psi then once it gets hot it goes down to 15 psi.Water temp running normal 180-200 cycling with fan.Verified oil pressure through the computer and a positive gauge at the filter housing.Any suggestions would be appriciated.

That doesn't sound TOO far off...oil temps ought to be high enough that water evaporates out to eliminate contamination...and will be higher on a long climb when the engine is working hard. I was worried about low oil pressure on mine, too...but was told low oil pressure is normal on these engines...everything was within spec.

I'm just an owner/driver...so take my Posted Image for what it is...
    When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

#3 OFFLINE   Gambi80

Gambi80

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,042 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:CH 613
    • Year:1997

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:32 PM

I've got 703,000 miles on mine...20 lbs at idle, 60 at 1400rpm. Oil temp has crept above 200 a few times in the summer...but it hasn't gotten anywhere near the redline, so I guess I don't worry.
    Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users