Broken Axle

Q500

I have a broken axle shaft in a 76 R with a limited slip power divider. I have gotten part of the axle out but the stub that goes in the ring gear is still in the splines. What is the easiest way to get it out? I think the power divider may have been comprimised also.

Take out the axle on the opposite side and insert a long piece of pipe or round stock and push the broken piece out of the side gear. I made a "trough" out of a piece of angle iron with a long rod welded to it which is first inserted into the axle tube on the "broken axle" side to catch the broken piece as it is pushed out of the side gear. Once the piece is laying in the trough, the trough is carefully withdrawn from the axle tube with the broken piece of axle on it.

Then get a "cow magnet" and clamp it to a long rod. Insert the magnet in the axle tube and pick up any stray fragments.

Then remove the drain plug from the axle housing and flush the housing with clean diesel fuel poured in thru the axle tubes.

Just hope that the impact of the axle snapping didn't fracture the side gear, I've seen that happen. If that's the case then it's time to pull the diff out of the axle housing and overhaul it.

Why do you think the power divider is "compromised"?

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I couldn't have said it any better. Though I never thought of the angle iron trick. We just push them threw with a LONG wooden stick. We do check inside with a bore scope after retrival though to check for any other possible damage.

I couldn't have said it any better. Though I never thought of the angle iron trick. We just push them threw with a LONG wooden stick. We do check inside with a bore scope after retrival though to check for any other possible damage.

The limited amount I've replaced broken axles I've had good luck with a long dowel rod to drive the stub free, then a magnet taped to the end of the rod to fish out small pieces as Herb suggested.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Why do you think the power divider is "compromised"?

The way it got broken is something I won't soon forget. My sister in law didn't release the parking brake and just kept hammering it until it gave up. It has a 6.34 gear ratio so when it happened it probably didn't take many times dumping the clutch. After the axle broke and my brother figured out that the brake was set but it still would not move under its own power. Once it got home we removed the drive shaft and the broken axle. The pinion shaft can be turned by hand with no action other than slight resistance. I'm assuming that something in the power divider is not happy. Please set me straight.

Edited by Q500

Maybe I'm not sure how its supposed to work but according to my research the drive shaft should not be able to spin even with a broken axle. The power divider should lock and things should still work. Is that right?

Maybe the through shaft is broke too.

If it is a air power divider and the drive shaft turns then something else is wrong, but if it is the peanut style it will turn if one axle is broken. terry

The Mack power dividers with air lock out are also the peanut type, it's just that they can be locked up with an air operated sliding clutch, therefore unless the air lock out is engaged, it performs the same as a conventional Mack "peanut" power divider.

The Mack power dividers with air lock out are also the peanut type, it's just that they can be locked up with an air operated sliding clutch, therefore unless the air lock out is engaged, it performs the same as a conventional Mack "peanut" power divider.

Yes you are totally right on that, I guess when i said peanut type i wasn,t thinking of the air power divider having the peanuts. I know the air ones sure work alot better than the non air ones. Terry

Anybody know??

Sorry, haven't been on here much the last day or so, we had a big snowstorm.

Yes, you should be able to turn the input shaft with one axle out, you should feel some roughness as the pins & cams do their thing though.

I say put in a new axle and try it, if something else is broke you'll find out then.

A few years ago I did fix a CL that simultaneously broke an axle AND the thru shaft, so that can happen.

The way it got broken is something I won't soon forget. My sister in law didn't release the parking brake and just kept hammering it until it gave up. It has a 6.34 gear ratio so when it happened it probably didn't take many times dumping the clutch. After the axle broke and my brother figured out that the brake was set but it still would not move under its own power. Once it got home we removed the drive shaft and the broken axle. The pinion shaft can be turned by hand with no action other than slight resistance. I'm assuming that something in the power divider is not happy. Please set me straight.

I don't know where you live but i've got a few 6.34 ratios lying around if you need some parts.....