•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1957 B Model Mack Project Truck

• Please log in to reply
    25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   In2Trux

In2Trux

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 189 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:B61
    • Year:1957

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Thought I show you what I've got to work with. A lil embarrassing, compared to some of the pictures of the B models on this forum. But it mine :thumb:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
    GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up
    All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

#2 OFFLINE   In2Trux

In2Trux

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 189 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:10 PM

Some shots of under the hood

Posted Image
    Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
    GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up
    All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

#3 OFFLINE   In2Trux

In2Trux

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 189 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

This is a shot from behind the cab

Posted Image

This is the frame rail from behind the R F steer.
    Didn't find the ser #

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
    GLENN

#4 OFFLINE   other dog

other dog

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• BMT Benefactor
    • 8,345 posts
    • Model:B-53s
    • Year:1965

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

Nothing to be embarrassed about there-that's a good looking truck. Sure, it might need a little work, but then most all of them do. Mine certainly does, but a lack of funds kind of has me at a stand-still. It's always good to see these trucks saved from the crusher, even if you never do anything to it-they ain't makin' 'em anymore!
    "I'm off like a herd of turtles"- Old Bill

#5 OFFLINE   mack4ever

mack4ever

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • 415 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:51 PM

thats the way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 OFFLINE   ajt

ajt

BMT Veteran VIP

• BMT Benefactor
    • 261 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:B61T
    • Year:1961

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

here is pic of my frame rail. my serial number is towards the bottom of the rail. i'm sure everyone can tell us if all the years are approx the same spot.(as far as at the bottom or middle or whatever.) you might try cleaning towards the bottom a little more though.
    i know it was really interesting and helpful to receive info from mack museum after finding the serial #.

i dont really have much expertise myself, but i tore my truck down to frame myself and cab is at body shop now.
    i am still amazed at the parts i found available to put it all back together.

good luck with your project. aj

#7 OFFLINE   ajt

ajt

BMT Veteran VIP

• BMT Benefactor
    • 261 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Year:1961

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

i try pic again

#8 OFFLINE   16390

• Big Dog
    • 130 posts
    • Model:H-63T, H-61T
    • Year:1957, 1953

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:48 PM

That truck is cherry compared to what I got myself into. All you have to do is see the potential. My friends thought I was crazy when I brought mine home, come to think of it I think I thought I was crazy especially after it was all stripped down. Close to half of my cab will have to have all new sheetmetal just to get started. Alot of the cab framework is rotted away so it has to be replaced and hopefully can get it back to the shape it was supposed to be. I'm learning you just have to be patient and jump right in, don't be afraid to learn new things. I'm doin all the sheetmetal work myself so when I'm done I'll know every square inch of the truck. That's half the fun though is fixin them up. Be sure to post pics of your progress, it helps me feel like I can get mine done some day..

#9 OFFLINE   phantom309

phantom309

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 138 posts
    • Model:B-85

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:38 PM

Looks like a diamond in the rough, lots of potential there!

#10 OFFLINE   Freightrain

Freightrain

Gear jam'n fool

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,161 posts
    • Year:59

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

Looks pretty good Glenn. You'd be surprised what a few days of washing and cleaning will do for the ol dawg. I've got a nice muffler/pipe with guard sitting in the back to take care of the straight pipe for ya! I ran it one summer, the the twins on mine and it's been sitting there since. I've got some Bostom T bar seat parts sitting here too. I have a couple nice passenger seats too! Bet yours still has the series/parrallel switch under the passenger seat? I have my cover for it, really nice too, as I dont need it anymore.

That front spring will need fixed up before it gets on the road. I have my drivers side getting separated like yours, but it hasn't blow the U bolts, yet.
    Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Posted Image

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

#11 OFFLINE   In2Trux

In2Trux

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 189 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

Looks pretty good Glenn. You'd be surprised what a few days of washing and cleaning will do for the ol dawg. I've got a nice muffler/pipe with guard sitting in the back to take care of the straight pipe for ya! I ran it one summer, the the twins on mine and it's been sitting there since. I've got some Bostom T bar seat parts sitting here too. I have a couple nice passenger seats too! Bet yours still has the series/parrallel switch under the passenger seat? I have my cover for it, really nice too, as I dont need it anymore.

That front spring will need fixed up before it gets on the road. I have my drivers side getting separated like yours, but it hasn't blow the U bolts, yet.

You know what ??? Talkin about see.. Ever since I visited Jim and sat in the driver's seat of himtruck.. Wow !!! I'd like to fit my truck with a set of 95 Jeep seats LOL

Thanks for the offer Larry I really appreciate that. I luv it how everybody helps out everybody here.. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same for you guys.
    GLENN

#12 OFFLINE   Freightrain

Freightrain

Gear jam'n fool

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 3,161 posts
    • Year:59

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

Got some stuff laying around, sure would like to see it go to use. Hard part is getting it to you. Have to ask Jim how long a drive it is to get down here.

I only have one question about the Jeep seats: Is there air ride under there? Nothing? Hope the springs are cut down on the truck or it might get a bit bouncy. The Torsion seat does take the jar out of the ride. I'd love to have something a big more "cushy" to sit on, but that's down the road.
    Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Posted Image

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

#13 OFFLINE   Mike

Mike

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,462 posts
    • Model:B61T 38914
    • Year:1962

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

Your truck has the potential to be a really nice truck if ya just take one step or area at a time. Set it aside and go at something else on the truck, then one day it will all be together and you'll say ( man I wished I had saved my money and bought a new airplane instead of this truck. :lol: Just kidding......My problem is that I have too many projects now. I used to take one at a time and get finished.

Keep us posted
    mike

#14 OFFLINE   Mike

Mike

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,462 posts
    • Model:B61T 38914
    • Year:1962

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

The area behind your spring shackle on the outside looking in toward your framerail is the area to look at, on the flat vertical side of frame. I had to take a putty knife to scrape it to expose the numbers. If its rusty then use kerosene or something to make it showup.

mike

#15 OFFLINE   In2Trux

In2Trux

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

Can't wait to get my truck here and get started to work on it.
    So in the mean time I've been shopping around for some deals on some of the essentials :wacko:

So I found the most important part of the hole truck.
    The Hood Ornament
    Posted Image

Then the Side Profile Hood Ornaments
    Posted Image

A couple of Heat Mirrors
    Posted Image

And a set of new B Model Clearance Lights
    Posted Image
    Posted Image
    GLENN

#16 OFFLINE   other dog

other dog

• BMT Benefactor
    • 8,345 posts
    • Model:B-53s
    • Year:1965

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

Can't wait to get my truck here and get started to work on it.
    So in the mean time I've been shopping around for some deals on some of the essentials :wacko:

So I found the most important part of the hole truck.
    The Hood Ornament
    Posted Image

Then the Side Profile Hood Ornaments
    Posted Image

A couple of Heat Mirrors
    Posted Image

And a set of new B Model Clearance Lights
    Posted Image
    Posted Image

You're lookin' good so far! I need a set of those clearance lights too, but it's that "lack of funds" thing.
    "I'm off like a herd of turtles"- Old Bill

#17 OFFLINE   HK Trucking

HK Trucking

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,557 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

At some point in that 1957 truck's existence someone swapped a later model (mid 60's) engine into it.

That engine has the equal length intake runners and combination full flow/bypass oil filter which says "END673P", however it does not have an oil cooler on it as an END673P normally would.
    Posted Image
    "If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

#18 OFFLINE   phantom309

phantom309

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 138 posts
    • Model:B-85

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

All that new chrome looks great, kind of like jewelry. :thumb:

#19 OFFLINE   B61TENDT711

B61TENDT711

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 177 posts
    • Year:1959

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

WOW . . . AWESOME ! I wished my truck looked half that good when i got it . . . :angry:

My truck started out a LOT ! ! ! worse rust dent's wholes rotten steal missing parts broken glass engine with no oil cap crank case full of water. . .

you got tires with tread and side walls ! . . . I had bald cord's popping out tubes sticking threw almost off of them where flat !

they had more crack's then rubber, some how with 4 fresh batteries a sheet of ply wood and several gallons of oil and a boat tank full of diesel fuel i got it to fire up and drive home . . . Tho it it blew out 4 tires on the way there 2 tires on each axle held air long enough to roll on home most of which blew out the following morning when the summer sun came out !

Months n months $1000 bill after $1000 bill i finally i had a truck almost as good as your's . . .

:clap: Great find :clap: you lucky devil you :thumb:

Mike
    1953 Studebaker M275. Reo 331 I-6, Spicer 5spd-DD, 6.72 Gears, 11.00R20H tires.

1959 Mack B61T. Mack END+T 711 I-6, 2 stick 15spd-OD, 6.38 Gears, 12.00-24J tires.

1962 GMC K4500. GMC 379M-V6, SM420-4spd-DD, 5.13 Gears, 8-19.5G tires.

1969 AMC AMX. AMC 390 Crossram, borgwarner T-10 4spd, 4.44 Gears, G60-14s Front N50-15s Rear.

1975 Mack DM600. 300 Mack 6spd 4.17 gears 445/65R22.5 front n 12.00R20 rear.

1976 Arctic Cat Jag2000. 275cc twin, belt drive, steal grips.

1977 Ford F350. 351M V-8, 4spd-DD, 4.56 Gears, 245/70R19.5G tires.

1988 AMC Jeep MJ. 2.5L I-4, 4spd-DD, 4.10 Gears 215/70R15 front 225/70R15 rear.

1992 Trans AM GTA. 406SBC TBI, 4L60E, 3.73 Gears, 245/50R16 front 295/50R16 Rear.

1995 GMC K2500 6.5-T, 4L80E, 4.10 gears 7.50-16D tires. 4.56 Gears coming soon.

2007 Honda Rubicon 500cc Single, 5spd fluid drive trans, 27x10-12 Front 27x12-12 Rear.

Still in search of M52 5 ton tractor, M123A1C 10 ton tractor

#20 OFFLINE   Bumblebee090458

Bumblebee090458

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • 338 posts
    • Model:B615T
    • Year:1964
    Contributor

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

I really enjoyed all the pictures. They tell a story. You will be surprised how different that truck will look after you start in on it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users